Can honey be fed to babies?

It is recommended to avoid giving honey to infants under the age of 12 months due to a very small risk of the child contracting Infant Botulism. Infant botulism can occur when a child ingests Clostridium Botulinum bacteria or spores, which are found in dirt and dust and can contaminate honey.

These bacteria are typically harmless to older children and adults because their mature digestive systems can move the bacteria through the body before they can cause any harm. Very young babies haven’t developed the ability to handle the bacteria and it can proliferate.

Although we know of no instances where our honey has caused Infant Botulism, we suggest a precautionary approach and only feed honey to infants over 12 months.

As with all health matters, we advise you seek the advice of a qualified medical professional and follow their recommendations.

If you want to call speak with us, free call. 1800 880 808